Adding a translation option
Wild Apricot does not provide multiple language support or translation options, but you can use a Google plugin to provide visitors with the ability to instantly translate your entire site to the language of their choice.
Google has dropped support for its website translation plugin. Existing implementations of the plugin will continue to function.
To add the Google Translate plugin to your site, follow these steps:
- Go to https://translate.google.com/manager/website
- Click the Add to your website now button.
- Enter the URL of your Wild Apricot website, select English at the original language of your site, then click the Next button.
- Choose which languages you want available for translation, and how you want the language selector to appear. Optionally, you can display a translation banner so visitors can quickly revert your site back to its original language.
- After you've made your choices, click the Get Code button.
- Copy the plugin code to the clipboard or a text file.
- Assuming you want the language selector to appear on all your site pages, log into Wild Apricot as an administrator and make the following changes to each of your page templates. If you only want the selector to appear on certain pages, then make the following changes to those pages.
- Add a custom HTML gadget where you want the language selector to appear.
- Hover over the custom HTML gadget and click the Settings icon.
- Within the gadget settings on the left, click the Edit code button.
- Click within the Edit HTML dialog and paste the embed code you copied earlier.
- Click the Save button to save your code changes.
- Within the gadget settings, adjust the margins to control the positioning of the language selector.
- Click Save to save the changes to your page template.
After making these changes, the language selector should appear on the applicable pages or page templates.
What doesn't get translated
The following elements on Wild Apricot sites do not get translated by the Google Translate plugin:
- "Powered by Wild Apricot" footer
- "Enter search string" prompt for site search gadget
- Prompt for required fields when completing a form