SHOW ME (4:21)
Stripe is an online payment processing service that allows you to accept online credit card payments on your Wild Apricot website. Stripe supports recurring payments (aka subscriptions) and does not require you to set up a merchant account.
Paying using Stripe
Once you've integrated Stripe with your Wild Apricot site, visitors to your site can pay online for membership fees and event registrations, and make donations.
When a visitor fills out an integrated online form on your Wild Apricot website (e.g. membership application or event registration) and chooses to pay online, they will be directed to a secure Wild Apricot payment form to make the payment.
On the form, they fill out their credit card details and their billing information, then click the Pay button to complete the payment.
After the payment is processed, the visitor is returned to the Invoices and payments tab on their member profile, where an invoice will appear, along with a payment entry, if the payment was successful.
For security reasons, credit card information is not stored in Wild Apricot. Instead, it is securely transmitted to Stripe where it is processed. Stripe then returns the status of the payment transaction, which is recorded in your Wild Apricot transaction details.
Integrating your Stripe account with Wild Apricot
Instructions for third-party payment systems are provided as a courtesy and may contain out of date information or screen clips. For the latest instructions, consult the payment provider's website.
Before you can set up your Wild Apricot site to accept online payments through Stripe, you must set up a Stripe account.
Within your Stripe account, set your account status to Test if you want to test your Stripe setup on Wild Apricot, or set it to Live if you want to begin accepting payments immediately.
Wild Apricot does not support the use of webhooks with Stripe accounts.
Once you've set up your Stripe account, you can integrate it into your Wild Apricot site.
What you need to get started
To integrate your Stripe account with Wild Apricot, you will need to copy your secret API key. To find your secret key, follow these steps:
- Sign into your Stripe account.
- Click Your Account from the upper right corner of your dashboard.
- Click the Account settings option.
- Within the options on the left, click API.
- From the API keys page, copy your secret key and your publishable key to a text file. If you want to test your Stripe setup, copy the test keys. If you want to accept payments right away, copy the live keys.
Now, you can integrate your Stripe account into your Wild Apricot site.
Payment settings for Stripe
Once you have copied your secret key from your Stripe account, follow these steps to integrate Stripe into your Wild Apricot site:
- Under the Settings menu, click Finances.
- From the Finances settings screen, click Payment settings.
- On the Payment settings screen, click the Edit button.
If you don't see an Edit button at the top of the screen,
scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click Other payment settings,
then click the Edit button on the screen that appears.
- Click the Payment system drop-down list and select Stripe.
- If you want to begin accepting online payments immediately, click the Live radio button. If you want to test your settings using test credit card numbers provided by Stripe, click the Test/Sandbox radio button. While in test mode, your payment provider will accept or decline your test transactions as it would live transactions, but will not charge any credit cards or update any bank accounts. Wild Apricot will, however, create payment records and update Wild Apricot balances as it would with live transactions.
- In the Secret key field, paste the secret key you copied from your Stripe account.
- In the Publishable key field, paste the publishable key you copied from your Stripe account.
- Select the credit card types you want to accept.
- Click Validate account to make sure your Stripe account
key is valid.
If the account validation fails, check to make sure you entered the account details properly.
- Click the Default country drop-down list and select the country where the majority of your visitors reside. Your selection will appear as the default country to your customers.
- Select the currency you want to use in your transactions. Do not change the currency after your site begins accepting online payments. If you change the currency, existing payment records will not be recalculated and will no longer display correct amounts.
- In the Instructions fields, add payment instructions to be displayed to your customers.
- Click Save changes.
Now that you have set up your Wild Apricot site to receive online payments through Stripe, a Pay online button will appear after a visitor to your site clicks the Confirm button while applying for membership or registering for an event.